Thursday, November 18, 2010

Lovin' the Leopard

I created this top from a dress that was thrifted, just like one of my favorite bloggers, Marisa  The original dress was a sleeveless leopard print sheath dress from Goodwill.  I kind of liked the original dress, but it was too big on me, and the front neckline had this wierd keyhole closure with a button....

 

So I made the neckline into a V-neck by tucking in the 'keyhole' pieces, and i shortened the dress into a top.  I also took it in a few inches on the sides to make it fit more snugly.  With the scraps from the shortened dress I created a double layer ruffle!  I am very proud of the ruffle because it definitely was a challenge to make!  After making the ruffle I struggled with where to put it on the top, I changed my mind a hundred times.  I had it diagonally across the top, straight up and down, around the bottom, and around the neckline.  I finally ended up placing it on the top....I cut my head out of the pics b/c my hair was atrocious! lol I did not want anyone seeing what it looked like.  but the top is cute!








This top was inspired by all these pretty leopard looks from Spring 2011


Francesco Scognamiglio      Givenchy            Bluemarine


Leopard and other animal prints are going to continue as a major trend into spring 2011, so this look could carry on through fall and winter and into next spring.

2 comments:

  1. oo very nice! i love the top!!! i'm glad you put the ruffles where you did.. very cute!
    the only thing is, your "inspired by" pics aren't showing up! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice! it turned out great. i love to do that to thrift store finds as well. i'm really into vintage prints and all, so i buy a lot of those thigns and turn them into more modern dresses and things. this one looks great though- nice touch with the double ruffle.

    i saw your thread in the coffee shop, so i thought i'd come by and check our your page. it's really nice- i just staretd following! hope you'll check out my blog as well. www.vivalafashion1.blogspot.com It's also about fashion on a budget! :)

    ReplyDelete