Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Interior Beauty, Kitchen day 1

While I am in the process of creating some more necklaces, I wanted to post today about some home-related fun things.  After all, I do love a good interior space. :)  I mentioned when I created this blog that I would use it to show how to DIY things in all aspects of design, not just jewelry, although that is my main focus.  So today, we are demonstrating an interior decorating idea that is inexpensive but looks like it cost a lot more!

My Kitchen!

Over the weekend, while I was relaxing at home, I also happened to feel very accomplished, since I got a lot of things done around the house, and one of those things was decorating my house for fall!  I know, it’s not officially fall yet, but with the cool temperatures and all the leaves that have been falling lately due to lack of rain, it feels fall-ish, and makes me want it to be fall!  So with today’s post I am focusing on my kitchen and showing you how to create the first of three extremely cheap, yet beautiful kitchen décor ideas for the approaching season. 

The first décor idea is a candle holder centerpiece.  All you need is a vase or clear glass container, I got mine at the dollar store, and some glass bead/marble pieces, which I also got at the dollar store, but any craft store would have both.  Either can be in any shape or size you prefer.  I love the simplicity of the tall cylindrical vase I found, which I feel will easily compliment any decor.  Then you need a votive candle, (I got one at Walmart for less than $1!) and a ‘filler’ to go in the vase with the candle and glass pieces.  In this case, I used two sprigs of little fall-colored foam berries that I bought for a dollar each, and I cut the berries off of the stems. 

Just put the glass pieces and ‘filler’ pieces in together to create an interesting arrangement, and then put the candle in, and continue to fill the sides of the vase around the candle.  Be careful that your ‘filler’ is not near the candle flame if it is flammable like mine!!!  You don’t want to have a fire on your hands!

The completed candle holder...

The awesome part about this piece, besides that is is extremely inexpensive and simple to make, is that you can easily change it to accommodate  any holiday or season, and therefore it is something you can get a lot of use out of!  For example, just change the filler to acorns or pebbles for a more natural look, or for winter you could use holly berries, battery powered mini lights, or potpourri/cinnamon, which would not only look cool but smell nice also!  The choice is up to you, and the possibilities are endless!

1 comment:

  1. This is so cute!

    xoxo
    Stacey Kay
    "Runway Inspiration, Vintage Decoration"
    www.goodwillhuntingg.com

    ReplyDelete