Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Interior Beauty, Kitchen day 2

In the post “Interior Beauty day 1”, you got to see my idea for an easy to make and inexpensive candle holder, and like that piece today’s piece can easily be changed to match any décor, or any season for that matter!  Today’s focus is on window coverings!  I can’t take all the credit for this idea, because it was my mom who came up with it years ago. 

I don’t have money to afford custom curtains, by any means!  The curtains in my home I for the most part found new in the package at goodwill!  This was an amazing find, because they were originally $80 a piece and I got them for $2…and, they matched my décor exactly and were totally what I had in mind!  So I definitely lucked out with them! 

But in my kitchen I did not really want full curtains on the window above the sink but rather just something to add some pop and color to the space.  I thought back to my mother’s idea, and knew it would be perfect!  Her idea was to use table napkins and hang them over the curtain rod to create a custom valance.  Yes, napkins can be expensive, but I have bought mine on clearance at walmart and at dollar stores, and I always keep my eye out for more on sale, because, since it is so easy to change them at any time, I always want to! 




I also got the curtain rods at big lots, really cheap, and was able to find beautiful beaded grape napkin rings at Sur la Table on clearance for $1.99!  I placed the napkin rings on the ends of the curtain rods to create the look and feel of more decorative, beaded rods, then draped the napkins over the rods, points down. 




I chose a chocolate brown as the base, and then I change out the center one depending on the season.  Usually during the summer I use a pretty yet simple brown, green, and yellow stripe, and during the winter I have holly napkins to use.  Currently I have my fall leaf ‘napkins’ up, and I feel so happy when I walk into my kitchen and see them….I love fall!  I also have some plaid ones as well.  Like with the candleholder, your possibilities are endless, because whichever color or print suits your mood and your own personal décor you can usually find, and use, for a very decent price!

No comments:

Post a Comment