Friday, February 25, 2011

Fashionably Friday, February 25, 2011

Today, instead of doing my usual Fashionably Friday, since it is my birthday, I wanted to let you guys in on some secrets.  Ok, not really secrets, but more like truths that I have learned in my 24 years.  I am not quite excited to be 24, not that it is an extremely old age or anything but just that I had imagined a whole lot more to be accomplished in my life by this time.  The fact that I am turning 24 kind of is a slap in the face, making me realize all the things that have not gone the way I planned them.  I of course am a whole lot happier now than I was at this time last year, and especially happier than I was 6 or even 3 months ago.  But, like it or not I am now 24 and I have learned some things along the way...

Number 1 is that your family, whether you think so right now or not, is the most important thing in your life. Treat it that way.  You may not agree right now, but no matter how many friends and crappy situations you go through over the years your family and significant other will be right there behind you, supporting you, so take time to appreciate them.


Which brings me to number 2:  Crappy things happen.  It's true, and unfortunate.  I have definitely learned this lesson myself.  Things do not always go the way you imagined they would, and probably never will.  It's good to have high hopes about situations but if it does not turn out the way you wanted it to, do not get discouraged.  This is probably the hardest lesson I have had to learn, and is why I now value Number 1.


Number 3:  Have high hopes and dreams.  This is what will get you through the crappy times.  No matter how many times things go differently than planned, do not give up on your hopes or dreams. 
Set high goals for yourself, it is the only way you will stay motivated to meet them.


Number 4:  Do things that make you happy, even if it seems trivial.  If there is something in your life that you look forward to that makes you happy and gives you hope, do it.  It will help you to stay focused on Number 3 when Number 2 happens.


Number 5:  Smile at the little things.  Gorgeous weather, how adorable your cat looks curled up asleep on your lap, the taste of a delicious meal that you have cooked yourself.  Little moments of joy in each day cannot be overlooked.  They will help you to maintain a grasp on happiness in your life every day.


Number 6:  Always have time for your friends.  If you are constantly busy with work or other things step back and schedule time with a friend or two, especially if it has been a long time since you have seen each other.  It's always refreshing to catch up and have a laugh with people who know you well and can make you smile.


Number 7: (ties in with Number 6)  If you have someone in your life who does not treat you like a true friend, does not support you in your endeavors, or constantly causes drama for you or aggravates you, let them go.  Keep yourself surrounded with people who make your time worthwhile, not who bring you down.  It may feel hard to let go at first but I guarantee if you do, you will be happier in the end.


Number 8:  Have no regrets.  This has been another hard lesson for me to learn, and sometimes I still struggle with it, but I know it to be true.  The past is history, it has already happened, and there is nothing you can do to change it.  Things in the past may hurt or you may wish you had done things differently....get over it.  Live in the here and now, you and only you can control the choices you make today to ensure that you will be happy for the rest of your life.


Number 9:  Stay creative, stay curious.  Keep observing the world around you, and keep learning from it.  Be creative in each and every day.  Put your own mark on the world in whatever way you can, and never stop finding something new to enjoy or someone new to learn from, this will keep you moving onward and upward in life.


Number 10, and the most important, is: You can make mistakes.  And you will.  No one is perfect, no matter how hard you try to be or want yourself to be.  But the most important lesson is to learn from those mistakes and keep constantly improving yourself.  If you make a mistake, great!  Now you know what not to do the next time around.  Keep that in mind and it is true that you will go far.  Maybe not right away, because things take time, but if every day you are learning and growing it will not be long before you have arrived at your ultimate goal, and if along the way you have kept the rest of these lessons in mind, you will undoubtedly be healthy, happy, and satisfied with everything in your life, and have wonderful people around you to share it with.


Have a great weekend.  :)

2 comments:

  1. This is really solid advice. I'm 22, and I have to agree with all of this. When I was a teenager I just didn't understand that getting out of Ohio wasn't going to make me happy. I moved to Pittsburgh for one year, and it was more than enough. It is so much better to have your family around. Not only are they great friends but when things get tough they are there. With no questions asked, and doing everything they can. If you can't tell I kind of love my family. It just took time to appreciate them.
    My Heart Blogged

    ReplyDelete