Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Thrifting Tuesday, February 22, 2011

This piece today was originally created from a Christian Dior (Yes, Dior, people!) Vintage nightgown that I bought at Salvation army for a whole $2.




There was a giant gaping hole in the back, and a slight stain at the bottom hemline.




But  I knew when I saw it that this old piece of ripped up lingerie would make a great top, definitely in line with the romantic, lacy, lingerie-as-outerwear trend that I am loving.  (Check out Last Friday's Post for more details.)  The whole gown is so sheer and soft, it almost feels like it was woven with air.  A perfect compliment to spring, in my opinion.



I shortened the hem, mostly to get rid of the stained area, but also to make the gown feel less like pajamas and more like something that could be worn day to day.



I also had to hand stitch the hole in the back, because it was a pain in the butt when I tried to stitch it with the machine but I am happy to say it is all gone! 



After a slight change and paired with skinny jeans, some gorgeous long necklaces  (two of which I made, one is shown here ,) and a sweater to fight the chill that is still in the air, this nightgown is ready to see some daylight!!  Enjoy!


My new gauz-y american eagle cardi!

I wore a faux leather motorcycle jacket with the top to class that day that I snagged for less than $1



look who joined me on the porch!!....Zoeykitty <3

7 comments:

  1. this looks amazing! i really love it with that motorcycle jacket!

    xoxo
    Stacey Kay
    “Runway Inspiration, Vintage Decoration”
    New Post! www.GoodwillHuntingg.com
    Fashion interns needed; Cleveland area
    My Vintage Handbag Line

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a sewing class and bought a machine at Costco, but it's never been out of the box. I'm intimidated by machines and worry about threading it. Can you give some encouragement or maybe recommend a basic machine sewing link? Even *I* wouldn't worry about test altering a $2 top!
    Loved the idea, thanks for the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job upcycling your find. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are "shear genius!" What a great idea,PLUS you give new life to an old cherished piece, I love that. I did a photography spread on my blog a while back wearing vintage slips and camis as everyday wear too, I am so glad to see you doing this! You rocked it!
    I loved your "haul video" on Stacey's blog too. Good job! Keep them coming girl!
    Brande
    http://victoryvintageb.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. great eye with that night gown! obviously anything dior is worth saving, no? you are so clever. love diy! i just di-can't! haha
    xx
    www.theleatherweather.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh the ruffle lace top is so cute!!! love it!!

    check out my new post: Translating Patrizia Pepe

    xxx
    www.fashionablepris.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooo love this!!! i saw this on NDAD! great job! I too was inspired by marissa to start my own refashion blog :D

    ReplyDelete